Thursday, February 17, 2011

I made it thru today!

So, I made it thru the workout today! It was Day 2 of the Couch to 5K workout and I wasn't sure a couple of times if I was gonna make it! I willl admit that I walked a little longer than the 90 seconds a couple of times, but then jogged a little longer than the 60 seconds to make up for it! My calves were screaming at me from the first step of jogging! I think I should have spent a little longer stretching today, which I will remember on Sat. for Day 3! I also forgot to take my mp3 player inside, so I had no music to listen to to help take my mind off the fact that I was working out. I really worked up a sweat today, so I am very proud of myself!

Talked to Terry before I went to the gym and he mentioned that the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure in Fayetteville, AR is coming up in a couple of months. Right about the time that I should be ready to run a 5k! What a coincidence! So, we are planning to get a few more people to run with us, maybe our son-in-law, Wes, and our son, Terry, Jr, and whoever else wants to join us. We want to run in memory of Miss June, and in honor of Sandy and Doris, who all worked for Terry down at his store in Rockport, TX. They were, and are, a great bunch of ladies! And that gives me another goal to shoot for....to be able to run the 5k and not just do the 1 mile Fun Run/Walk that I've done in the past. And so, when I think that I can't run another step, I can just think of what these 3 ladies have gone thru and that next step won't seem quite so big a deal.

I really don't think I've lost any weight this week, because Terry brought me home some chocolates for Valentine's Day and I have indulged myself. But they are almost gone (at least, the ones that I like) and this week for me has been more about actually getting up off the couch and going to the gym. I know myself, and if I try and do everything at once, I will get overwhelmed and quit. So, first I get in the habit of going to the gym, drinking more water, and eating more fruits and veggies. Then, next I will start to really watch my portion sizes, and concentrate on eating fewer calories and fat. And as long as I haven't gained this week, I will call it a victory!

Tomorrow is my water exercise class and I'm looking forward to that. While I'm doing it, it doesn't seem that hard, but I can sure feel the effects after I get out of the pool. And already I have learned the names of 3 people in the class, so I'm very proud of that, too! I think Sat. when I go to the gym, I will see about signing up for my first session with the personal trainer. We get 3 free sessions and Terry has his first session on Sat. I haven't signed up yet because I wanted to kind of get used to the place first. And I wasn't ready to jump into working on the weight machines yet, but I think I'm almost there. There's a room where they do the circuit training similar to how they do it at Curves, and I'm interested in doing that. I'm thinking of adding it on the days that I do my water exercise class. So, I'll sign up on Sat. for my first session and then we'll see what the trainer thinks. But ultimately, it has to be something I enjoy, or that I see some results in, or I won't keep doing it. Evenutally I want to try the Zumba class, too. That looks like a lot of fun! But I'm not going to rush it, because I don't want to get overwhelmed with too much stuff! But I will say that this has been a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment