Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 2

So, I didn't get up at 8am this morning and go to the gym. I went to bed early (before 11pm!), but woke up multiple times during the night and just wanted to sleep this morning. But I DID go to the gym! Just not this morning.

After I woke up late (it was noon!) I started telling myself all these reasons I should just skip today, but I'm very proud of myself for not listening. After some fruit for breakfast, I headed out. It's sooo nice outside today, too! The temp is in the 50's, so it feels like spring! It is a little overcast, and there was a light rain earlier, but it's just wonderful outside! So that was an encouragement to get moving, too.

Right after the new year, Steve Wells, a guy I went to high school with and now go to church with, sent me a link to a site http://www.coolrunning.com/ for the Couch to 5k running plan. I had mentioned that I really want to start running again. When I first read the plan, I thought, this is too simple. How am I going to make it last 9 weeks? And the plan said not to skip ahead, but that if you needed to slow down and repeat a week, that was fine. So, for the first week, you do a brisk 5 minute warm up walk, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes, then cool down. You do that 3 times the first week. I thought this will be a piece of cake if it's only for 20 minutes! Yeah, right!

I decided to try the treadmill today, since the timer on it would help me keep my times right. It took me the entire 5 minute warm up to feel comfortable on the treadmill. Then, I started my workout. I kept it on no incline and never got up to 4mph, but I still was sweating out those last few minutes, let me tell ya! I felt all rubbery when I finally finished. But the point is, I FINSHED! I was very proud of myself.

So, for the next few weeks, the plan is to go to the water workout on M/W/F, and do the Couch to 5k on T/TH/S, and then do something relaxing on Sundays with Terry, like maybe go bike riding, or bowling, or walking....whatever, just as long as we spend some time doing something together.

I also have to remember to take a water bottle with me from now on! I had to stop half way thru my workout today to go to the water fountain. It would be much better to have my water there with me at all times.

Last night we had a wonderful dinner for Valentine's day...steak, baked potato, rice, and rolls. And even tho I didn't eat all my steak, I still felt so fat after I finished eating. It doesn't help that my joints are hurting and swollen because of no arthritis meds, either. But I also noticed at church the other day how I have to open the car door, put both feet out, then heave myself up to get out of the car. And it takes an effort to get up off the couch, or up onto my bed. I breath heavily just walking from my bedroom to the kitchen. And that is just that much more motivation to get myself out of bed and to the gym! I'm tired of it being a struggle just to tie my shoes!

I love to play softball. I'm not really good at it, but I used to be okay. Not the player who got picked first, but certainly not the player who got picked last. Our church has it's own softball league and so Terry and I signed up, thinking it was something that we could do together and it would help us meet new people. Well, it was all that, except that I really couldn't play. Everyone was supposed to play 2 innings, at least, and I could barely make it thru 1! And if it was hot that day, forget it! One day, they had to call the EMT's because I almost passed out! I want to play this year, and I want to really play! Not just my two innings that I have to play, but the whole game! The season started in June last year. That's just under 4 months from now. If I keep working out, by then I should have the stamina to make it thru a one hour game! And I should be able to run the 90 feet from base to base! And I should be at least 30-35 pounds lighter than I am right now! So, that's another goal set!

1 comment:

  1. Vicki, I will be your first follower and cheerleader, as I also need to lose weight. I am following you..you need to follow me :
    http://poshpoochdesignsdogclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete