Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

So, last Valentine's Day, I began this journey. It has been an up and down year, as regards my weight. I am still over 200 lbs, but I must say, I am in better shape than I was when I started. When I first went to the YMCA last year, I could barely complete my weight workout, and now I go to my water class, swim at least a 1/4 mile, do 20-30 minutes on the bike, and then 3 days a week do my weight workout! There's no way I could have done all that a year ago!

It is a little depressing when I realize that 11 months later I am still a size 20. But I had a talk with my dr and was reminded that with the medication I am on, it is very hard for me to lose weight. It can be done, but I will really have to work hard at it. So, with that in mind, I am changing my mind set.

I'm still going to be trying to lose weight. And to get to a smaller size. But more importantly, I'm going to be working on being in the best condition I can be in. I am going to set goals on how far I can swim, and how long I can go on the bike, and how many miles I can do on the track, and how much weight I can do in my workouts. I think if I focus on those goals, rather than a number on the scale or the tag in my clothes, I will achieve more!

I haven't set "New Year's Resolutions" since high school because I never knew anyone, including myself, who ever kept them. But I have decided that for 2012 I need to set some goals. So, here are the goals I am setting for myself this year. Some of them have to do with working out and getting healthy, and some are from other parts of my life. But I'm going to list them all here, because being healthy is just a part of my life.

My 2012 goals:

1. To be more consistent with my Bible reading--I want to read my Bible everyday and keep up with my reading schedule.

2. To walk more closely with my Heavenly Father--I want to draw closer to God and seek His will for my life in all things.

3. To be more consistent with my workouts--I want to get to the gym everyday day and get in my workout. I want to set monthly goals and achieve them so that I can be in the best physical condition I can be in.

4. To spend more time with Terry--I want to spend more time doing stuff with Terry, not just watching tv together, but to actually get out and do things, and spend more time interacting with each other.

5. To spend less time focused on myself--I want to spend more time focused on serving others this year and less time focused on myself. I want to find more ways to volunteer and serving others.

6. To spend more time with my parents--I don't know how much time I have left with my parents and I want to spend more time with them this year. They are in their 70's and both have health issues, so I know they will not be around forever. And I want to spend as much time as I can with them, because I don't want to look back someday and wish I has taken more time to be with them!

These are my goals for the year. They are realistic and achievable. And they are goals that I will probably continue to set every year, because there is always more that I can do in each area!

So, I may not get into the box containing the size 8 jeans in my closet this year. But I'm not going to beat myself up about that this year. As long as I am being consistent with my workouts and I feel good, I'm going to be happy with that. My workout goals for Jan. are to be consistent with my workouts, swim 1/4 mile everyday, 20-30 minutes a day on the bike, 1-2 miles on the track, my water workout everyday, and my weight workout M/W/F. I'll set my Feb. goals at the end of Jan.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment